Foreign Nationals Seeking Employment in Malta

The Employment and Training Corporation is at present the entity that processes applications for the issue of employment licences (previously known as work permits) with regards to foreign nationals to be employed in Malta. ETC was delegated this responsibility in August 2005.


If you are not a citizen of an EU country, you need an employment licence in order to be able to work in Malta. EU nationals [except citizens of Croatia], EEA and Swiss nationals do not require an employment licence to work in Malta.

Employment licences must be applied for by the employer and not by the jobseeker.
We have compiled the following Guidelines for your perusal. Should you however require any clarifications, please contact us on: These guidelines are intended to act as a guide to applicants and to foreign nationals wishing to work in Malta. They are subject to regular updates and thus, it is important that applications must comply with the guidelines applicable at the date of application.
For more information, you may wish to download the  Living and Working in Malta publiction which contains extensive information on living and working in Malta.
Note: Due to transitional arrangements still in place, the employment of Bulgarian or Romanian citizens still requires an employment licence and therefore, kindly refer to the section Foreign Nationals Seeking Employment in Malta for more information.